Monday, March 27, 2017

"The Roanoke Girls" by Amy Engel (Review)

-Where to start, oh where to start?- Well, I loved it!

-Questions life for a few seconds-

OK, let me start by saying that I absolutely adored this book. It shines a light on an important subject uniquely, though there's a large trigger warning in this. Or well, the topic of Suicide is addressed in this novel.

Onto the review! This novel takes place in Kansas where we meet two girls, Lane and Allegra. This family was very dysfunctional, even disturbing... The Roanoke's share dark secrets that had gone back generations. Although this, Allegra doesn't mind, in fact, can be seen as happy to retell the secrets of what happened to previous Roanoke girls to Lane. Like any reasonable person, Lane decided to leave and never go back to the family farm in Kansas. But like all happiness in novels, it didn't last. I didn't know how to feel about this twist.

Eleven years go by and Lane is forced to return when she receives a phone call from her grandfather stating Allegra had gone missing.

-GASP, oh no! How could things go wrong after eleven years you ask? Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!-

Allegra was the only Roanoke girl to not leave...

That's all the plot, for now, folks- I really enjoyed this book, it put a differing perspective onto how our world is today and how life can be for others. Amy used spectacular descriptive elements and as usual, I found that to be beautiful. Although I won't deny that the beginning of the book didn't really catch my attention that well, but once I was about I'd say 35 pages in I was hooked.

I really would recommend this book, it's a very emotionally involved book which made me love it that much more. The triggering issues were written in a way you could read the story and feel the characters emotions on a more personal level.

I'm giving this novel 4.3 out of 5 stars! Caio!

Also, thank you for Blogging for Books for sending me this copy to review! This in no way affected my opinion of the novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment